A Neuromancer movie has been in the making almost since 1989, after a few years of Hayden Christensen and Joseph Kahn we got word that Vincenzo Natalie (Cube, Cypher) is attached to the project. That was a major relief to fans of Neuromancer as it was believed he may handle the subject appropriately. The last thing fans want is for this movie to get a PG-13 rating, they want an R movie and nothing less. Despite Natalie’s involvement things quickly grew quiet again, funding seemed to be the major problem. At last it was rumored he wouldn’t even direct but just produce the movie. Earlier this year more rumors circulated that funding had finally been obtained and that preliminary production had started. Now there has been talk that Mark Wahlberg is attached to the project to play the anti-hero Case and Liam Neeson would play Armitage (the main antagonist).
Apparently Mark Wahlberg has connections with film producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura and that seems to have given him the edge. Fans have so far responded lukewarm to Wahlberg’s casting and I have to admit myself that I can’t really see him playing Case (he is too old for one). However, maybe we all just need to warm up to the idea for a while. Liam Neeson’s casting seems very solid and has been warmly recieved. For most fans the biggest question is…. Who will play Molly? The famous razorgirl that has may geek hearts pumping faster. Carrie-Anne Moss’s character Trinity from the Matrix Trilogy was largely inspired by Molly but I am afraid she is getting on a bit (44 years old),
So, from my bag of sci-fi chicks I nominate 5 plausible girls to play Molly.
1. Olivia Wilde. She resembles Molly physically the most and is a well established actress. Despite playing a rather complicated character on House I wonder if she really has the ability to play the femme-fatale Molly. Olivia is also hesitant about nudity in movies so that will put a Neuromancer with her in the PG-13 bracket.
2. Summer Glau. Her character from The Terminator Chronicles and Alphas is similar to Molly.
3. Noomi Rapace. She has of course played a hacker in the swedish version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but otherwise seems to be a bit too petit to resemble Molly, her character in Prometheus was also not really to my liking.
4. Jaime Murray. Has played many femme fatales and seems to be able to put on a serious character as well. That said she mostly does TV work and that has already eliminated a few actresses.
5. Anna Torv. She has the ability to play wildly differing characters and with a bit of hair dye easily resembles Molly, though I am afraid she also mainly just does TV work.
Runner-uppers are Tricia Helfer, Bridget Moynahan, Carrie-Anne Moss, Claudia Black and Jolene Blalock.
Some fans on the net have been busy speculating about other actresses for the role of Molly.
Apparently Erica Cerra (Eureka) and Rooney Mara (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) are top contenders. The former is interesting but unlikely and the latter’s version of Lisbeth Salander was not as inspiring as Noomi Rapace’s version. Other Actresses such as Jessica Biel, Kate Beckinsale, Milla Jovovich and Natalie Portman are interesting but too exposed to convincingly play the role. Jeri Ryan might cause fans to get distracted (Ahemmmm). Linda Hardy (Immortal) and Evangeline Lilly (Lost) are also two plausible contenders though the latter’s character of Kate on Lost was not really to my liking.
In the end we are looking for plausible actresses and not really famous ones who have high exposure. At this moment I would say Olivia Wilde and Noomi Rapace are the likely picks with Anna Torv and Summer Glau behind them mostly because they have done more TV work.
1 thought on “Neuromancer movie may star Mark Wahlberg and Liam Neeson!”
Jaime Murray and Summer Glau are the best
Comments are closed.