Star Trek Into Darkness may have been a mixed bag but it is definitely a movie worth a second and third viewing just to understand it properly. For those not wanting to go a to an empty cinema there will soon be the possibility of owning a copy of the movie on DVD or Blu-ray complete with a whole host of extra’s. The release has been scheduled for September 10th for a tentative price of 19.99. Which I believe will just be for the bare-bones version (do I am hoping is for the extra’s as well).
However, before you can get your hands on a digital copy of the movie through.
The official press release.
“I’m excited for viewers at home to check out Star Trek Into Darkness on Blu-ray and DVD,” said J.J. Abrams. “They did a great job and I’m thrilled with how everything looks and sounds. We also have some really fun behind-the-scenes special features that we shot on the Red and created entirely in-house at Bad Robot. They really look amazing and unlike anything I’ve seen on DVD or Blu-ray before.” Abrams added “I hope fans enjoy seeing the process that went into making the movie and the truly amazing work of our most spectacular cast and crew.”
The Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray/DVD and Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD combo packs with UltraViolet. are bursting with behind-the-scenes material detailing how the filmmakers delivered a rousing epic filled with both spectacle and soul. For the first time, the special features included in the combo packs were produced entirely by Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions and captured in spectacular high quality on Red Epic cameras for a uniquely intimate perspective of the filmmakers’ process.
Written by Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof, the film follows the crew of the Enterprise as a shocking act of terror on Earth sends them on a manhunt to capture an unstoppable force of destruction and bring those responsible to justice. STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS features an outstanding ensemble cast including John Cho, Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Peter Weller and Anton Yelchin.
Blu-ray Special features:
– Feature film in high definition
– Creating the Red Planet. Experience the creation of a never-before-seen alien world, as featured in the action-packed opening sequence of the film.
– Attack on Starfleet. Go behind the scenes with the cast and filmmakers and witness the creation of the shocking attack on Starfleet Headquarters.
– The Klingon Home World. Discover the stunning world of Kronos, and see how the filmmakers reinvented the Klingons for a new generation.
– The Enemy of My Enemy. Find out how, and why, the identity of the film’s true villain was kept a mystery to the very end.
– Ship to Ship. An in-depth and thrilling look at the filming of the iconic space jump sequence, which both defied the laws of physics and pushed the limits of visual effects.
– Brawl by the Bay. Sit in with Zachary Quinto and Benedict Cumberbatch as they revisit their intense preparation for the film’s breathtaking climax.
– Continuing the Mission. An inspiring look at the partnership between the film’s crew and the organization that assists returning veterans to find meaningful ways to contribute on the home front.
And yes you did read that right. Some total dickhead at paramount thought it was a good idea to bring out a combo pack for Star Trek Into Darkness and Ultraviolet. If I didn’t know it better I would day that this press release is an April fools joke. It is pretty much the most cynical thing to since the Total Recall remake was released in a combo pack alongside Ultraviolet. Which at the time I though was the most cynical idea since George Lucas sold LucasFilm to Disney!